Hytrin, made with the chief constituent Terazosin, is an agent that blocks alpha-1-selective adrenoceptor. It is used for curing high blood pressure and certain symptoms resulting from benign prostate cancer. Being an alpha blocker, the pill works by relaxing the veins and arteries thereby facilitating easy flow of blood. This decreases the blood pressure in the body. It also relaxes certain muscles around the bladder and muscles in prostate.
Hytrin is used for lowering blood pressure and eases the urination process of men who suffer from benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). Indirectly, the pill also lowers the chances of heart attack which results from hypertension or elevated blood pressure levels. With relaxed bladder muscles BPH sufferers do not face any difficulty, burning/pain sensation or dribbling when they urinate. They also have a decreased urge to urinate frequently.
Dosage and Administration
Hytrin comes in the form of 1 mg, 2 mg, 5 mg and 10 mg tablets. The initial dose is usually 1 mg and it is increased gradually until some improvement is noticed.
Hytrin should be consumed by mouth and is usually taken once a day. It should be taken exactly as it was suggested by the medical professional. Any alteration in the dosage duration or dosage strength will lead an overdose.
There is a tendency to feel dizzy or weak if you are using this medicine for the first time or using it after a long break. If you suffer from extreme dizziness take Hytrin before heading to bed. If the condition persists inform your doctor. Apart from this, regular blood tests must be done while taking the medicine and the doctor may alter the dose based on your condition.
Follow these basic precautions to ensure the safe use of Hytrin:
- The drug can make you feel dizzy or light-headed. Avoid standing up too fast or doing any work that requires concentration like driving and operating machinery.
- Patients who have to undergo cataract surgery should inform the doctor regarding the use of this medication.
- Those with a history of prostate cancer would be given a different dosage than the usual one.
- Get the correct dosage by disclosing your complete medical history.
Severe side effects resulting from Hytrin are:
- Extreme dizziness making you feel like you might pass out
- Painful erection of penis lasting longer than 4 hours
- Fluttering sensation in the chest
These side effects must be shown to a doctor immediately. Less severe side effects of taking Hytrin which might ward off after a while are:
- Changes in vision
- Weakness or mild drowsiness
If these side effects occur in a persistent manner then you must consult a doctor.
What drugs interact with Hytrin
Inform your doctor if you are using medications like:
- Blood pressure medications, even those that fall under diuretics category