Cephalexin is antibiotic drug used to treat moderate to severe bacterial infections. Cephalexin is categorized under the cephalosporin group of antibiotics.
Cephalexin impacts the functioning of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria by inhibiting the growth in bacterial cell wall. Cephalexin primarily treats infections in the bone, skin, urinary tract and middle ear.
Cephalexin works by stopping the proliferation, growth and multiplication of bacteria. Even those who are allergic to penicillin can take Cephalexin as it is considered to be tolerable in almost all body types, whereas the medication is not recommended for use in individuals with severe penicillin allergies.
Cephalexin can also heal respiratory tract infections and rheumatic liver. To the maximum possible extent try to avoid consuming Cephalexin in the dosage strength of your own discretion. This is to avoid unnecessary health complications.
Dosage and Administration
Cephalexin is available in the dosage strengths of 250 mg, 333 mg, 500 mg, and 750 mg. the maximum recommended dosage in a day is around 1 to 4 grams, with the doses split and taken at intervals.
The adult dose of Cephalexin drug may be 250 mg every 6 hours or taken as 500 mg every 12 hours. The medication should be administered once in 12 hours, along with plenty of fluid.
Individuals opting to undergo a course of therapy with Cephalexin should continue the course for about 14 days, so as to experience optimal relief from the problem
Once the severity of the infection subside the dosage strength of Cephalexin can be brought down to 250mg. And, that’s the reason why cephalexin 250mg is the apt choice for people with mild bacterial infection.
Cephalexin can completely heal the bacterial infection and offer long-lasting relief when it is administered in genuine formulation. On the other hand, deciphering the appropriate dosage strength of Cephalexin is highly critical at all junctures. By consulting the doctor and availing prescription, it is easy to identify the dosage strength.
Precautions With this Medication
- Individuals who are allergic to Penicillin group of drugs should be careful whilst using Cephalexin, especially those suffering from impaired liver, kidney and colon functions. In some cases there could be an extra growth of the bacteria known as Clostridium Difficile.
- At such instance, the patients are bound to suffer from moderate to severe diarrhea. Pregnant women and lactating mothers should use Cephalexin only under doctor’s supervision.
- Cephalexin should be taken for the entire course prescribed. Even if symptoms improve very fast, continuing the treatment of Cephalexin will ensure that the condition is treated completely.
- If Cephalexin causes diarrhea that is watery or bloody it may be seen as a sign of a new infection. Inform the doctor immediately if this happens before you take any anti-diarrhea medication.
Side Effects With This Medication
Cephalexin can result in a few side effects. Some of these symptoms are common and usually go away on their own. If they are persistent or severe, then do not waste time in seeking emergency medical assistance. Side effects of Cephalexin may be:
- Feeling tired
- Vaginal discharge or itching
- Trouble urinating
- Severe skin reactions
- Abdominal pain
- Easy bruising of skin
- Unusual bleeding
- Watery or bloody diarrhea
- Sore throat
- Joint pain
- Purple spotting under the skin
For more information on Cephalexin, refer your healthcare provider for advice.