Klonopin is an anti-anxiety medication that belongs to a class of benzodiazepines drugs which affect the functioning of neurotransmitters in the brain and alters their states. Mostly the brain chemicals that reach to an imbalanced state due to anxiety can be balanced by the action of the medication. The medication comes in the form of tablets and disintegrating capsules.
In addition to treating anxiety symptoms, Klonopin is also prescribed to people with seizure disorder and panic attacks. Sometimes it is also prescribed for chronic anxiety.
Dosage and proper way of taking the medication
Klonopin comes in dosage strengths of 0.5mg, 1mg and 2mg
- The medication needs to be administered orally.
- Initially it is directed to take 0.5mg pill 2 times per day. As the body gets used to the drug, the dose can be increased to 1 mg per day. If klonopin is not taken in the prescribed dosages, there are chances that you might be affected by its side effects.
- However, the total dose should not include more than 4 mg a day.
- Once the pill is ingested and gets into the blood stream, it hinders anxiety symptoms to the highest possible degree.
The difference between brand and generic variant of Klonopin
Clonazepam is distributed in both generic and brand versions. The brand variant is formulated with Clonazepam as its active ingredient. Although the working mechanism is the same, Klonopin has different binding agents used to manufacture the pill. Both generic and brand versions of this medication are on par with each other in terms of efficacy, strength of the medicine and the relief that it provides from anxiety. However, with brand version there is a brand guarantee while the generic variant is much cheaper.
Why is it necessary to take genuine Klonopin pills?
Klonopin will only be effective if it is not taken in supreme quality. There are chances that your condition may worsen while taking low quality pills. So it is important to identify authentic stores while looking for Klonopin. Genuine stores supply first-class pills whose efficacy has been scrutinized through multiple stages of clinical tests. One can be assured of the quality of the pills when they are obtained from a genuine store.
What should you know about Klonopin?
As the medication is classified as a schedule IV controlled substance, it is necessary to follow the below given precautions while taking Klonopin.
- Avoid modifying the dose or taking more than required without doctor’s consultation. The Clonazepam medication can build tolerance easily and also lead to dependence.
- Do not abruptly stop taking the drug as this can result in severe withdrawal symptoms.
- The drug should not be taken by someone with a history of drug or alcohol abuse.
- If there are any symptoms of suicidal thoughts or behavior then get medical assistance immediately.
- It is recommended to avoid consumption of achohol when you take Klonopin.
What to do in case of overdose or missing a dose?
In case a dose is missed then take it as early as you remember to do so. Do not double the medication to make up for the missed dose or take missed dose if it is too close to the schedule for the next dose but skip the missed dose entirely. Overdosing on Klonopin may be cause confusion, drowsiness, muscle weakness, fainting, or coma. Seek emergency medical assistance in case of suspected overdose.