Levlen is a prescription contraceptive pill that is formulated with the combination of levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol. These ingredients prevent pregnancy by stopping the ovulation from happening. They also work by altering the lining of the uterus and changing the cervical mucus. The pill cannot be used by all women because it conflicts with certain habits or health conditions of a woman.
Benefits of using Levlen
The medicine containing the above mentioned components or hormones as its main ingredient is used to help prevent pregnancy and is regarded as one of the most efficient means of birth control. There are also other advantages of using this medicine which are reduced menstrual pain and balancing of irregularities of the period. One can also experience slight improvement in their pre-menstrual symptoms like bloating, formation of pimples or swelling. Each brand or generic pill contains 0.05 mg of ethinyl estradiol which is a synthetic estrogen and 0.15 mg of levonorgestrel which is synthetic progestogen. These two hormones work together to prevent to ovulation and also prevent the thinning of the lining of uterus.
Dosage and Administration
Levlen is available in the dosage strength of 0.15 mg. you have to take the medication as mentioned by a health care professional. Do not skip taking the drug as it would reduce the effectiveness to a greater extent. You should also halt the medication in a proper way by getting assistance from a doctor.
The medicine is an oral contraceptive and comes in the form of packages which contains the pills for 21, 28 or 91 days. No matter what quantity the packet comes in the cycle of these contraceptive pills is considered to be 28 days, day 1 being the first day of the menstrual bleeding.
Important safety information
- Do not consume alcohol or do not smoke when you are taking Levlen as this would trigger many diseases in a person.
- This medication does not protect you from any sexually transmitted diseases hence use condoms during a sexual activity.
- It is not recommended to drive or operate heavy machinery during the treatment.
- Check your breasts regularly. If you find any lumps then consult your doctor about it.
- If you have decided to undergo any surgery or if you are going to take any long flight then you have to tell about this to your health care professional. They will let you know about certain safety precautions.
- Levlen should not be taken immediately within a month after child birth or abortion. You can ask any questions about this to your doctor.
- During the treatment, you would develop dark patches on your face. When you expose yourself to sunlight then this would automatically increase.
- You should use sunscreen or any protection before going out under hot sun.
- While you are taking Levlen, you would find some vaginal spotting or bleeding. This is fine for a week but if this persists more than this period, you have to consult with a doctor.
- When you are taking inactive pills, if you do not get your period then this might be the sign of pregnancy.
- After you stop taking this medication, it would take some time for your body to wear off the drug. So, pregnancy might not be an option for few months.
- Levlen must be taken on a regular basis to ensure effective contraception.
- The failure rate while taking this pill was found to be only 1 % hence forgetting to consume the medicine will increase your chances of an unwanted pregnancy.
- The pill must not be taken by women who have drinking or smoking problem. Heavy smokers have an increased risk of side effects such as blood pressure and heart strokes.
Most common side effects that if persists must be checked with a medical professional immediately are:
- Tenderness or soreness of breasts
- Unusual bleeding or spotting
- Loss or increase of appetite
- Loss of hair
- Sudden changes in weight
- Pain in the stomach
If severe side effects or allergic reactions occur while on treatment with levlen, it must be checked with a doctor as and when they appear. It is not wise to wait for the symptoms to subside in the case of any breast lumps or discharge.
Relative contraindications to Levlen
Medicines such as Beta-blockers, antibiotics, azole antifungals, indinavir and salicylic acid are known to interact with Levlen. These are not the only type of drug interactions that are identified and other might also occur.