Plavix is the brand name of the drug Clopidrogel and it works as an antiplatelet agent. It is an important medication that has many uses as it can regulate clotting problems in the blood. The medication is highly potent and it can be taken safely only with a valid doctor’s prescription.
Plavix is used for preventing platelets from sticking to one another and causing blood clot. It is also used for preventing other problems related to blood vessels such as high Blood Pressure in those who recently had a stroke or heart attack.
Dosage and Administration
Plavix is available for use as film-coated compressed tablets that are in the dosage strengths of 75 mg and 300 mg. The 300 mg is considered in many treatments as a loading dose, following which the individual may take the 75 mg dose on a once daily basis or as decided by the healthcare provider.
Follow the instructions provider by the doctor regarding the administration of Plavix. It may be taken either with or without food. Do not modify the dosage by increasing or decreasing without the consent of your doctor as it would not be suitable for your health. Discontinuing taking the drug abruptly can also affect your health. Higher doses would only increase the risk of side effects. Do not compare your symptoms and improvement with other patients who have the same problem. Do not stop taking Plavix without checking with your physician even if you feel normal.
Follow the safety precautions mentioned below while using the medication.
- Since the drug can cause you to bleed easily, avoid involving yourself in activities that can cause cuts or injuries easily.
- Do not take Plavix along with Aspirin.
- Drinking alcohol while taking this drug can increase the risk of stomach bleeding.
- Pregnant and breast-feeding women should not take this medication as it can produce harmful effects on the baby.
- Ensure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients before taking the pills.
- The drug is not recommended for use in children below twelve years of age and elders who are above sixty.
You should not consume Plavix if you have any medical condition related to bleeding, brain, stomach, kidney and others. It is also not advisable for pregnant women and lactating mothers to take this medicine without prescription.
It is crucial to read those details before you start using the drug. For instance, using the medication would increase your bleeding when you are injured. Thus, you need to very careful while using sharp items and heavy objects. Drinking alcohol while using the medication will also induce bleeding inside stomach
Adverse effects experienced with the use of Plavix should be treated immediately, particularly if they are severe or persistent. These may be:
- Bleeding in the nose
- Bleeding that doesn’t stop
- Signs of internal bleeding like tarry or bloody stool, and coughing up blood
- Pale skin
- Easy bruising
- Heart attack symptoms like chest pain, nausea, sweating, pain that spreads between the arm and the jaw
- Stroke symptoms like sudden numbness, headache, slurred speech, trouble with balance or vision